Valentine’s Day Safety Tips for your Pets

1st February 2021

As Valentine’s Day draws near and we are all booking flower deliveries and buying boxes of chocolates for our loved ones, let’s not forget about our furry loved ones as lots of these Valentine’s treats can prove hazardous to them. Please see the top 5 hazardous treats to avoid:

1. FLOWERS

While not all are toxic to pets it’s not commonly known which exact flowers cause the most damage. Some common types of flower that are usually found in bouquets are; Daffodil, Carnation, Freesia, Peonies, Gladiolas. If in contact with dogs can cause severe vomiting, increase in thirst, haemorrhagic gastroenteritis and in some cases kidney failure.

Lilies are the next noteworthy flower to raise caution as they are extremely toxic to cats. If they come into contact with your pets, seek the attention of a vet immediately.

2. CHOCOLATE

Chocolate is another big treat to keep clear from. The methylxanthines present in chocolate produce agents like caffeine and theobromine which are very harmful and cause; vomiting, seizures, hyperactivity and potentially death. While the understanding is that chocolate is more harmful to dogs keep them away from your cats too, as they do just as much damage.

3. CANDLES

Flames should ALWAYS be kept away from your pets, but, this becomes especially important when you’ve romantically laid out 100’s in the bathroom or living room. Pets can easily knock over some you may have forgot about so keep cautious!

4. ALCOHOL

Keep an eye out for cheeky pets trying to sneak a sip of your bubbly, this can cause serious harm internally. Some of the symptoms you may see are; disorientation, vomiting, difficulty breathing and in severe cases, death. Keep the bubbly away!

5. SWEETS

Your curious pets can sniff out a sweet treat from a mile off, so be vigilant not to leave any lying around as they can be very harmful and could include toxins and xylitol. If in contact with your pets this will first cause vomiting with higher doses potentially leading to a sudden drop in blood sugar and subsequent loss of coordination, seizures and also low blood sugar.

Always seek advice from you vet immediately should you have any concerns about any of the above.

For more information on keeping your pets safe from common dangers in the house and garden, visit: https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/looking-after-your-pet/all-pets/poisons-and-hazards-for-your-pets

For more information on hazards and dangers for cats, visit: https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/home-and-environment/poisoning

Booking your summer holiday and haven’t booked your pet care yet?
Contact your local Petpals to check their availability – https://www.petpals.com/contact/